14. July 2013 · Comments Off on Greenhouse makeover · Categories: Gardening, Home, Uncategorized · Tags:

I didn’t take a proper “before” photo of our greenhouse, prior to starting this project.  It was totally overgrown with grass and weeds, because I had no motivation to go in there.  Last year, during our ridiculously wet summer, it was almost constantly flooded.  Whoever built it had decided to dig the path out so that it was below ground level, I guess because that was easier than making raised beds.  That meant that whenever it rained, the path was underwater – sometimes up to about 20cm of water.  Last year’s tomatoes went mouldy before they even had a chance to ripen.

So, something had to be done.  We started a few weeks ago when my dear dear parents-in-law helped to dig out all the old weeds and soil and moss and ant nests.  Then I pulled up all the old paving stones from the old path, and removed the rotten bits of laminate flooring that had been used to edge the beds.

image

Then on Saturday came the major working bee.  With help of an extra pair of strong arms we started raising the ground level.  Our neighbour had dropped off a load of topsoil with his tractor, so that went in first, and we dug a drainage ditch which we filled with gravel.

image

Then we threw in a layer of sand.  A lot of sand.  Luckily we had 10 tonnes.  I think we have about 6 tonnes now.  Once we had the level up to the outside ground level, we laid out a path with a bunch of paving stones that we recently bought secondhand.

image

And then in with another load of top soil into the beds, with some bark mulch mixed in.  These baby chilis and capsicums have been moved in, although it’s way too late in the season and I don’t expect to harvest anything.  I hope that they’ll grow a bit though, and I’ll bring them indoors for the winter and hope to get something next year.  I also popped in a small rosemary that’s been living on the veranda.

image

And then we went out and bought two grape vines  🙂

image

Comments closed.